Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What the Fuck Was That?

Ok. Last night I went to see Inland Empire. Now, I like to think of myself as a movie lover and pride myself in knowing something about what I see.

People will argue that David Lynch is a genius. Maybe he is. I've seen his other movies and, although they may be hard to get at, I enjoyed. Inland Empire is a whole other story.

Visually its shocking. Very well filmed. There are scenes that make you feel like you've popped LSD. Laura Dern is magnificent. But, the movie is pretentious as hell. There is no plot. There are parallel stories running about and you only get that from little clues that are left over and that connect some of the different stories. Its made up as it goes along. Its like David Lynch knows something we don't. It made me nuts. I just wanted it to end. I couldn't take it any longer. I wanted to yank out my hair, gouge out my eyeballs. So I left. I have never, ever left a movie.

No comments: